Using Insignia tape to repair kite sail

Need to make a repair and need help? Have an idea for modifying your kite?
Nikaoxomoxoa

Using Insignia tape to repair kite sail

Post by Nikaoxomoxoa »

Reading this post: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=82, I noticed the OP said he could use "insignia" tape to repair the leading edge. I have a very small (2mm) diameter hole in the sail of my Classic Jam session. Would insignia tape be a great way to repair it? Should I put an equal amount of tape on the mirror side of the kite to ensure the kite is balanced?

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Re: Using Insignia tape to repair kite sail

Post by Allen Carter »

Insignia tape is fairly thick and bulky and usually only black. Intended for making block letters on sails. It is more like the heavy dacron used in many LE tunnels than the thin sail fabric. It will certainly patch a small hole in sail fabric just fine, but due to the thickness, its not ideal. The only place I've used in on sails is for rub protection under the upper spreader.

There is ripstop tape, available in some colors, which is thin like sail fabric, but sticky backed. That is a good choice if available and a good color match.

The high tech material is a thin, clear, plastic tape called Tedlar. It is sold by the foot/yard by various kite stores and it is great for sail patches. Almost invisible. I know Into The Wind sells it.

Problem with tape of any sort is the sticky edge that often builds up dirt, and/or comes loose over time.

Best sail repair in many cases, but most risky and requiring of some skill, is using thin CA glue (super glue). Often a tear in sail cloth can be lined up very carefully, a piece of scotch tape added to hold the two sides together, then a very tiny amount of CA glue applied the the fibers at the tear. Once the glue sets, peel off the scotch tape and you have a nearly invisible and very strong repair that will last a long time. The potential for a less than elegant repair exists with this method. too much glue and/or not carefully aligning the seam can make for a bulky or wrinkled seam. take plenty of time to allign the seam and tape it. Apply the glue with a toothpick rather then right out of the tube for sure.

Nikaoxomoxoa

Re: Using Insignia tape to repair kite sail

Post by Nikaoxomoxoa »

Thanks Allan! will try the superglue method.