Ghost Delta - UNCOATED Fabric

Need to make a repair and need help? Have an idea for modifying your kite?
craigkite

Ghost Delta - UNCOATED Fabric

Post by craigkite »

I have built a lot of Ghost/Pyro Deltas. I have used 3/4oz coated ripstop nylon for sail and "tails". I finally have a bit of UNCOATED white to build a large White Ghost. The Fabric is 65" (nominal) wide. I had planned on using Texlon 3/4 oz white (54" wide) for the upper sail, and the uncoated for the tails. I want to use as much of the width of the fabric for the tails. Has anyone used the uncoated in the main part of a sail, and not just banner/streamer/tails? What are the overall results?

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Re: Ghost Delta - UNCOATED Fabric

Post by ken mcneill »

craigkite wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:45 pm
Has anyone used the uncoated in the main part of a sail, and not just banner/streamer/tails?
I haven't done it, but looking at the work of Willy Koch, Eliot Shook, and others makes me think we might be making too big a deal of stiff, zero-porosity fabrics for a lot of kites. Go for it! That opens the door to a lot of cool 'alternative' fabrics like silk. My only caution is to keep in mind that the unfinished fabric will have very little stretch resistance on the bias, so plan accordingly. I look forward to seeing your new wonders Craig!

steve hall
alt. name: kitekid

Post by steve hall »

FWIW ...
Frank Schwiemann's original Pyro Ghost Delta's used a coated material for the tails.
no other versions else I ever saw had quite the same "flow"

skb
alt. name: Steve Brown

Post by skb »

I have a couple of original Frank Schwiemann Pyro Deltas that use 1.5 oz ripstop Nylon for the delta sail and light, uncoated material for the tails. Frank seemed to use different materials fairly often, a friend's one used regular 3/4 ripstop for the tails and it is noisier (kinda crinkly sounding) and the flow of the tails isn't as smooth flowing.

Image Image
Clickable Thumbnails
Last edited by skb on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve hall
alt. name: kitekid

Post by steve hall »

skb wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:16 pm
I have a couple of original Frank Schwiemann Pyro Deltas that use 1.5 oz ripstop Nylon for the delta sail and light, uncoated material for the tails. Frank seemed to use different materials fairly often, a friend's one used regular 3/4 ripstop for the tails and it is noisier (kinda crinkly sounding) and the flow of the tails isn't as smooth flowing.

Clickable Thumbnail
now that you mention it ... the tail material seemed to vary by color.

Ca Ike
alt. name: Anthony Eichele

Post by Ca Ike »

I've used a few different uncoated fabrics for kite sails and the biggest problem is the porosity. They will fly but depending on the fabric the wind needed will vary more because of the fabric than the design. One of my cellular builds I did out of Joann's rip stop nylon and it flew well in 12+mph. It stretched badly so I rebuilt it but sprayed the fabric with Varethane polyurethane finish. Not only did it stop the stretch but it lowered the wind needed to around 5mph. Tails can be just about any fabric though and they don't need to be coated. I've used Taffeta, Organza, Cheese cloth and a few others. My favorites are taffeta and Organza because of the way the cloth shimmers and flows. Anything that needs to inflate will do a lot better with a coated fabric.