Removing end knocks and other fittings

Need to make a repair and need help? Have an idea for modifying your kite?
TubaKite
alt. name: Gene Syen

Removing end knocks and other fittings

Post by TubaKite »

It didn't take long, I broke the LLE in my Mamba Std. Clean break right below the APA connector. Luckily there was no damage to the sail.

Is there any way to remove the end knocks and shrink tubing to reuse the small parts? Or will I be better off replacing them?

Gene

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Re: Removing end knocks and other fittings

Post by ken mcneill »

Gene, unless that particular Nitro was dramatically out of spec, it's probably not glued on, but a friction fit. Get a firm grip on the stick (wear gloves or wrap it in a rag) push a rod or small screwdriver sideways through the nock slot and try to twist it off.

There is no shrink tubing, it's a cut-down end cap that's been glued on. You might be able to break it loose by prying as you turn from the bottom side. It might be simpler to just replace that bit.

I have no Nitros on hand right now, so give Jon and Marieanne a call at SkyBurner/Kites and Fun Things. They'll get you back in the air quicker (and probably cheaper) than I can.

TubaKite
alt. name: Gene Syen

Post by TubaKite »

Ken,
Thanks for the quick advice. Luckily I have spare Nitros and end caps. Glad I won't have to buy new end knocks...yet.

dszo

Post by dszo »

In order to make the APA slide out or in easier you can put some dish soap over the spar (i dry it before use for a stronger effect).

Another option is to dip the APA in hot water before installing it - the heat makes it slightly more flexible