Template material?

Need to make a repair and need help? Have an idea for modifying your kite?
Sugarbaker

Template material?

Post by Sugarbaker »

Hi all, I’m looking at remaking my most used templates for some future builds. Historically I’ve used 1/8” hardboard, but find that the templates take up a ton of space when stored and would like a better solution. Keep in mind that I cut these out at home with typical wood working tools (that is to say I wouldn’t have a good way to fabricate templates out of metal...I could probably manage aluminum). Any recommendations?

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Re: Template material?

Post by ken mcneill »

I use .040 polystyrene, which can be cut with a razor knife. Once I get a good shape, I glue it to a second layer with the curve (from being rolled up) going the opposite way, to make it stay flat and make for a better edge to cut against. I've learned how to cut with them and not cut up my patterns. I got something like 800 Mambas out of my original set from Apr 2000.

Sugarbaker

Post by Sugarbaker »

I will look into this... Since I stopped using a hot cutter for PC31, this sounds like a good option. I imagine I will destroy one or two as I get used to cutting around them, but they are easily remade.

Photomom

Post by Photomom »

Where do you get the polystyrene? This sounds like a good way to replace some of my cardboard templates.

Karen M.

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Photomom wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 am
Where do you get the polystyrene? This sounds like a good way to replace some of my cardboard templates.
I've bought from several plastics distributors over the years. Most large towns will have one.

I buy large sheets, either 40x70" or 48x96". The thin stuff can be rolled up to fit in the back seat of a car. Even rolled, it's a large, possibly heavy, package and is expensive to ship.

I had a lucky Google search when it became crazy expensive to ship big bulky packages via UPS, and found a local sign supply company that stocks it.

craigkite

Post by craigkite »

Ken, can the templates you make from 2 layers of poly sheeting be rolled for storage? I noted that you overcome the "elastic memory" by using 2 layers with rolls in different direction. The OP asked about storage issues, and I can't think of a solution, other than creating a shelf system for under the bed. We are not all lucky enough to have Jon Trennepohl's Blue Print drawers under the cutting table,

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

craigkite wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:02 am
Ken, can the templates you make from 2 layers of poly sheeting be rolled for storage...
I'll clamp all of the pattern pieces for a kite together using a 'Pony' clamp and hang them from a nail.
patterns.jpg