Guests - Welcome, thanks for checking us out, it's good to have you here! Please consider joining our little community by clicking on the 'register' link in the header. This will allow you to see attached images, join in the discussions, and take advantage of upcoming members-only features.

Learn-to-Fly Kites

The kite festival is one of our strongest connections with the public and each other. Please use this board to post news of upcoming events, as well as tell us about where you've been.
ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Learn-to-Fly Kites

Post by ken mcneill »

I was able to catch the last couple of hours of a local event on Beech Mountain, NC yesterday. As I figured, the wind had been used up by the time I got there. ;) That's OK because it means I have the field pretty much to myself. 8-)

After everyone left, I was able to spend some time with my friend, Will Smoot, who's the event coordinator/flyer wrangler. One of the things Will mentioned was that he'd like to include a sport kite learn-to-fly next year and that he'd probably pick up a couple of beater kites to use. Of course, being the sucker I am for a good idea, I offered to supply the kites.

When I got in the studio this morning, it occurred to me that I have almost a dozen near-perfect would-be Tsūru prototype sails that are destined to be cut up for scrap or made into banners. If framed with something not too heavy, but fairly bullet-proof, they would make great learn-to-fly kites.

As these things do, the idea has grown beyond one event, but to frame up a handful of kites (maybe 6 total), and make them available to any event that wants them on a lending basis. This is where the members of this forum, and the larger (for now) Blue Moon family, can come in. Sticks! I could probably arrange with SkyShark/Kites and Fun Things, where you could donate a few sticks or small parts like APA connectors, and send them to me with my orders for use in the program. The second way you can become involved is to teach learn-to-fly at festivals, or simply to let the event organizers and kite clubs know the resource is available.

What do you think? Ideas/suggestions?

Peaks of Otter Kite Flyer

Re: Learn to Fly Kites

Post by Peaks of Otter Kite Flyer »

Something similar was mentioned at one of the last AKA BOD meetings, a teaching station featuring SLK, foil, dual and quad for any ability to walk up and get string time and help. My idea is a feather flag saying “learn to fly here” could also help. Section off a small field for safety. Super idea 👏👏👏

I’m thinking a small go fund me to cover banner flags unless vendors might supply. I’m glad to help in any way I can. Thanks Ken!

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Peaks of Otter Kite Flyer wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:14 pm
...My idea is a feather flag saying “learn to fly here” could also help. Section off a small field for safety. Super idea 👏👏👏

I’m thinking a small go fund me to cover banner flags unless vendors might supply. I’m glad to help in any way I can. Thanks Ken!
My previous kite company made about a dozen banners like that in the 90s. No idea what happened to them.

Personally, I'd like to see banners made by the community instead of purchased. Maybe support with covering materials, either by a Go Fund Me or direct set-aside with a kite materials supplier. The banners could travel with the kites package.

Photomom

Post by Photomom »

How big of a banner are you talking about?

craigkite

Post by craigkite »

And string...quite a bit of string. Half a dozen line sets would need a manufacturer sponsor.

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Photomom wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:16 pm
How big of a banner are you talking about?
The ones we did years ago were about 12ft and really bold and bright. I've probably got enough .75 oz nylon on the shelf to make a dozen banners, that I will donate as it's likely never going to be used. I'm thinking half a dozen, Two for each loaner pair of kites?
craigkite wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:51 pm
And string...quite a bit of string. Half a dozen line sets would need a manufacturer sponsor.
Good point Craig. I've probably got enough spectra on old spools to make three 100ft sets each of 150lb and 90lb. I'll donate what I have, and work on the balance.

FWIW, this is not a Blue Moon project, but a personal one. None of the kites or other equipment, etc. coming from my side of the fence will say Blue Moon.

Photomom

Re: Learn-to-Fly Kites

Post by Photomom »

Woul colors matter for these banners? I’m assuming they wouldn’t have to be real fancy.

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Photomom wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:28 pm
Woul colors matter for these banners? I’m assuming they wouldn’t have to be real fancy.
Just something bright. Simple is good. The LTF banners we did years ago were something like this -
ltf_banners.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allen Carter

Post by Allen Carter »

BASKL had a set of cheap dual line kites with cheap line for Learn To Fly (and Learn to Fly Team) events, but given the financial constraints of a small club, the kites were junk, the lines too heavy, and I don't think anyone learned much with them.

I think a set of large kites if they are fairly well matched would be great for a social flying setup. They dont have to be tuned up to match like a set of team kites, but if the bridles are set and lines are good, people could fly together pretty easily.

A P300/400 frame would be pretty bullet proof.