Simplicity

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Simplicity

Post by Allen Carter »

Tsuru arrived today and all I’ve done is put it together in the living room.

Wife likes the color scheme (she picked it out), so there’s that. :-)

But what struck me as I put it together (and perhaps what drew me to it as it was developed) is the simplicity.

Single standoffs, tried and true construction and fittings, no muss no fuss. Maybe it’s the old skool guy in me, but it’s nice.

Maybe it’s because I bought a new Gemini a few months ago, and some complex SLKs too. I’m ready for simplicity? :-)

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Re: Simplicity

Post by ken mcneill »

In the words of Thelonious Monk, "simple ain't easy." :) I hope you enjoy it!

Evelyn Malloy

Post by Evelyn Malloy »

Ken, I believe you can trust your wife's color selections in the future...tell her I said so!

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Evelyn Malloy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:39 pm
...tell her I said so!
Actually, It was Allen's wife's colors. :)

Bing

Post by Bing »

Double stand offs must have a reason such as holding the shape of the sail with a flat peak? Or is it just more if 1 is good, 2 is better? :D

I notice the R-Sky's dual stand offs are placed so close together, its like, what's the point, other than to have a 2 inch flat section on the sail... Hopefully it flies better due to this, rather than to be a trend with weight penalties.

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Bing wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:38 pm
Double stand offs must have a reason such as holding the shape of the sail with a flat peak? Or is it just more if 1 is good, 2 is better? :D

I notice the R-Sky's dual stand offs are placed so close together, its like, what's the point, other than to have a 2 inch flat section on the sail... Hopefully it flies better due to this, rather than to be a trend with weight penalties.
The best theory I’ve heard is the French designs a couple decades ago started with 2 stand-offs fairly wide spread like many kites of the day. Over time, the designers kept pushing them closer and closer because it helped the kite do the “latest” tricks. Eventually they got to be so close to one another that it makes near as no difference, but tradition has kept them from removing the appendix, if you will.

I built a French style kite once that was designed for 2 close standoff but altered it for a single (slightly longer to maintain span). It flew great and I couldn’t find anything lacking with my limited bag of tricks.

Bing

Post by Bing »

Mickey wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:57 pm
Bing wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:38 pm

The best theory I’ve heard is the French designs a couple decades ago started with 2 stand-offs fairly wide spread like many kites of the day. Over time, the designers kept pushing them closer and closer because it helped the kite do the “latest” tricks. Eventually they got to be so close to one another that it makes near as no difference, but tradition has kept them from removing the appendix, if you will.

I built a French style kite once that was designed for 2 close standoff but altered it for a single (slightly longer to maintain span). It flew great and I couldn’t find anything lacking with my limited bag of tricks.
Thanks for your thoughts, Its a bizarre thing :)

inewham
alt. name: Ian Newham

Post by inewham »

What Mickey said with the addition that for a long while people trying to make their kites backspin thought that 2 standoffs created a flat channel which helped to create lift when the kids was on its back. So that feature was replicated by many, I tried it too.
In reality backspin ability seems to have more to do with the angle of the outer portion of the sail so even old prism eclipse and similar kites backspin nicely
However the trade-off then is you have a wide keel which makes the kite slower so an extra standoff helps narrow the keel

The 2 wide standoffs on those early French designs seemed to make the kite easier to yoyo

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

The truth is that it's all voodoo, practiced by the lift fairies and drag demons. :)

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

ken mcneill wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:49 am
The truth is that it's all voodoo, practiced by the lift fairies and drag demons. :)
Some of my best friends through the years have been drag demons. They really know how to party, but I have no idea how they can wear those boots!