First Flight

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

First Flight

Post by Allen Carter »

Had my Tsuru out for the first time this morning. :-)

Terrible conditions, but I'll give first impressions.

I can see why Devin said tricking the Tsuru was tiring, it's a big kite and needs big inputs for slack line tricks. Plus, he spent the summer flying his new little trick kite so he's out of shape...

What was really satisfying is that Flying the kite (not tricking) was NOT tiring at all. The Tsuru has a firm steady pull through the window which makes it really easy to fly smoothly. First impression (and on very short lines) this would be a really good kite for Pair and Team flying. As intended, no surprise, but very, very well executed.

Super nice tracking and square corners. Over all a feeling of having a substantial kite on the lines, but not at all heavy or stodgy.

I was on 60' lines and the wind was offshore, so coming over the seawall and onto a very steeply sloped beach. About 20' of alternately dead or turbulent lower window before getting to about 20' of smooth air in the upper window. Cant wait to get the kite on some proper 100' lines.

Also Really, Really looking forward to the UL. :-)
IMG_9412.jpeg

BenderDog
alt. name: Daniel

Re: First Flight

Post by BenderDog »

Is this the first one in the wild that isn't a demo/test kite? Those colors are great!

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Post by ken mcneill »

Allen Carter wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:56 pm
Had my Tsuru out for the first time this morning...
Thanks for your thoughts, Allen! Looking forward to hearing what you think after some time with it on longer lines. Have fun with it!
BenderDog wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:09 pm
Is this the first one in the wild that isn't a demo/test kite?
Yes, Allen's Tsuru is #1

jdenz

Re: First Flight - Kaizen

Post by jdenz »

Nice #one Allen. :clap:

My first flight with #two was a bit abrupt, I managed :wtf: to break the lower leading edge on my second tipstab.

Not a big deal, all sorted now, and dying to have #second go soonish ... TBC.

On replacing the Nitro spar, I thought of a bit of kaizen for my conditions, i.e. I often fly in muddy fields. To keep my nocks squeaky clean and snag free, I used some clear soft caps (see pic below).

And I found some copper ring weights from you @kmac_testing and was wondering, if you experimented with a tail weight? - Cheers.
tsuru_nocks.jpg
🪁 ❉⊱•═•⊰♥🎶;;;♥;;;🎶* ✨•♫•♬• 🪁»→🌎 :.°•∘✩☯* 🪁

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Re: First Flight - Kaizen

Post by ken mcneill »

jdenz wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 am
And I found some copper ring weights from you @kmac_testing and was wondering, if you experimented with a tail weight? - Cheers.
Played with tail weight, and didn't like what it did to the performance.

jdenz

Post by jdenz »

#Second day out, absolutely loving it, smooth 15-20km/h winds on 30m lines with 2.5m leaders.

... and I do like my Tsurú very very much. Well done, Ken. :thumbup:

Pure bliss. Beautiful lazy flat and back spins, amazingly accurate tracing, tight corners flown perfectly, and an awesome presence in the sky. (My 2020 colour choices are all yellow, red, black, felt unassumingly patriotic 🇩🇪 )

This is a mighty fine kite, I always will go back to for chill-out slow flying (and forgetting my life's troubles).

If the Tsurú was designed for comtemplative fun, you nailed it ... :wave:

PS: I might try a 15g tail weight to keep the nose higher in a fade, one of my favourite flying positions, but we all have our preference ...
tsuru_op2.jpg
tsuru_op1.jpg
🪁 ❉⊱•═•⊰♥🎶;;;♥;;;🎶* ✨•♫•♬• 🪁»→🌎 :.°•∘✩☯* 🪁

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

jdenz wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 pm
#Second day out, absolutely loving it...
...I might try a 15g tail weight to keep the nose higher in a fade, one of my favourite flying positions, but we all have our preference
Glad day two went better! Thank you for your kind words. :)

Let me know how your trials go with tail weights. One additional thing you might try is replacing the top spreader with a stock piece of .210/5.5mm carbon tube @ 21.5"/54.6cm. The one in your Tsuru is loaded to balance the kite to my tastes.

Allen Carter

Post by Allen Carter »

A loaded upper spreader? Good to know in case I lose it and replace it with plain tube and wonder WTF.

What’s it loaded with?

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Allen Carter wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:40 pm
A loaded upper spreader? Good to know in case I lose it and replace it with plain tube and wonder WTF.

What’s it loaded with?
A .125 carbon tube. It's only 6 grams, but it made enough difference to make it worthwhile.

Allen Carter

Post by Allen Carter »

ken mcneill wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm
Allen Carter wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:40 pm

What’s it loaded with?
A .125 carbon tube. It's only 6 grams, but it made enough difference to make it worthwhile.
Good to know. Upper spreader weight is my main tuning spot for kites without tail weights. (almost all of my kites)