Tsuru Std Bridle adjustment

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Tsuru Std Bridle adjustment

Post by Allen Carter »

Hey Ken,

Can you give me the stock bridle measurement? Just the upper leg from US to tow point?

I had a nice long session with the Tsuru Std in smooth medium winds yesterday, 8-10 mph beach wind. Really a nice time. After about an hour of cruising on 100' lines the tide started to come in so I switched to 75' and checked my phone. An email from Ken that my Tsuru UL is on it's way. I'd only flown the Std as delivered and appreciated the low end, but also felt that the kite would likely be a bit more responsive if i lowered the tow point a bit. With the UL coming, I thought "screw the low end, lets set this kite up as I'll fly it from now on"

I lowered the tow point in a few increments and got what I was looking for. As the wind was dropping a bit I stopped when the kite still had plenty of drive, but there was a very noticeable change in overall responsiveness. Turns were snappier and stalls easier. Just as you'd expect. I tend to like kites to be fairly "heavy" this way, especially when I'm not worried about low end range.

If I was flying the Tsuru in Pairs or Team, I'd likely move the tow point back up, as the forward speed does not change much but the kite has more of an "autotpilot" feel coming out of turns. Just solid as a rock. For individual flying I'll trade off a bit of stability for responsiveness. I can pay attention to my turns if I have an audience... :-)

All this is to say, the Tsuru continues to impress me with it's "professionalism" It does what I want, as I'd expect it to. It's a high end tool for sure. Do people who fly kites know Starrett tools? Like that.

So, what I'd like to do is be able to tell people how much I moved the bridle but i have no mark to measure from. So, Ken? (I can tell you how far below the spreader it is, which is how I set things, but that's not quite as easy to translate)

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Re: Tsuru Std Bridle adjustment

Post by ken mcneill »

Allen Carter wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:23 pm
Can you give me the stock bridle measurement? Just the upper leg from US to tow point?...
...So, what I'd like to do is be able to tell people how much I moved the bridle but I have no mark to measure from...
I sent out the only Nitro Tsuru I had on hand yesterday, but I'll try to get you a measurement when I'm back at it tomorrow. If you moved it down 1/2", the marks might be buried inside the prusik, as they started out below the knot.(?)

Keep those tweaks and tunings coming Allen, et al. :thumbup:

paul fouts

Post by paul fouts »

Jeez Allen, You broke it already? :clap:

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Post by Allen Carter »

paul fouts wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:07 am
Jeez Allen, You broke it already? :clap:
Funny guy. :-)

It’s true that I’ve flown some Blue Moons (and other kites) for years without ever touching to bridle, I’ve had just as many kites where my bridle settings (that I set and then fly for years) have been considerably different than stock.

Some kites are really sensitive to bridle changes and have a very narrow range (or sweet spot) where I like to fly them. Others, like the Tsuru, are more “tunable” for the mission. Even so, I tend to find my setting and leave it.

Ca Ike
alt. name: Anthony Eichele

Post by Ca Ike »

Well this is interesting. I find that all my BMK's so far have very little bridle adjustment before becoming out of sorts. Like 1/4 inch up or down max. Even going between the three knots on the bridles of my mantis or exiles doesn't produce productive changes without changing the outer stand offs at the same time. They seem to be basically middle knot middle stand off, outer knot outer stand off, etc. My Mongoose has one setting it likes and that's it so you learn to fly as set by Ken. Hopefully this covid crap will ease up some and I can get some business back so I can give Ken some money soon.

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Post by ken mcneill »

@Allen Carter, The first two pictures show how far from the ULE bridle knot to the top of the set mark. The third picture is the relative distance with everything hooked up.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg