Tsuru #11 - UL - First Flight

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Tsuru #11 - UL - First Flight

Post by Allen Carter »

My Tsuru UL arrived today and looks great!

Sorry for the tease, but this is a placeholder for my first flight which will hopefully be tomorrow morning early before the crowds hit the beach. It's nuts out there today...

Allen Carter

Re: Tsuru #11 - UL - First Flight

Post by Allen Carter »

Yeah.

Just yeah... :-)
IMG_0205 (1).jpeg
The Tsuru UL (I guess it's called a "Light" or Lt now?) feels really good. Flew for about 90 minutes this morning in winds building from a shifty 0-2 to a smooth 5-6. Kite has great drive in very light wind. The kind of kite you can walk backwards and fly a whole routine with if the wind drops after you call "In".

As expected in a light kite, flat spins are flatter and floatier than the Std and fades lock in more solidly. Flight behavior feels pretty much just like the Std, so routines will map well across kite weights.

Thanks for another great kite, Ken!

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Post by ken mcneill »

Allen Carter wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:33 pm
The Tsuru UL (I guess it's called a "Light" or Lt now?)
Glad you're liking it Allen! Thanks for sharing your first impressions.

Not quite sure what to call it, Lt. or UL? I want to have an even lighter variation available for team and performance flyers, but I've always thought the "SUL" classification a little silly (redundant?). The naming 'convention' is UL & SUL, but why be "conventional"? ;)

Allen Carter

Post by Allen Carter »

I hear you about the naming. I think UL is pretty clear, but when you go lighter it's more vague.

Call em whatever you like.

You could go all Euro and call the SUL a "WW" or Zero or Double Zero

Or go all Retro and call it the Tsuru Feather. That gets my vote. The XTC Feather was a great kite.

I tend to think of a "Light" designation as a slightly lighter Standard. With a Heavy being a beefed up standard. Like I bet 7PT or Nitro Strong lower spreaders would move the wind range of the Std up a bit.

The Tsuru version I received with the 13 gram spreaders and LEs and a lighter sail, is definitely not a light standard. In terms of frame stiffness and low end wind range it is squarely what I'd call an UltraLight (UL)

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Post by ken mcneill »

Allen Carter wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:30 pm
Or go all Retro and call it the Tsuru Feather...
That would go well with the 'Crane' translation. :) I like that.