Tipwrap dot com

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Tipwrap dot com

Post by Allen Carter »

Tipwrap.com was an early web site devoted to Prism kites, with the title a jab at the brand and the seemingly uncanny propensity for tip wraps with kites like the Fanatic.

Why am I posting this here?

Well, at this stage in my game I don't think about tip wraps much, but when I get a good one I tend to mutter "tipwrapdotcom" under my breath. Old habit that tends to make me smile.

I've been muttering it a bunch lately with the Tsuru. New kite, long wingtips, etc. I tend to be pretty clumsy when learning a new kite, so more "unplanned landings" are par for the course. But what has me muttering with the Tsuru is not the wrap that causes a grounding (that's just my bad inputs) but that wraps are hard to clear off that loooong wingtip. Like surprisingly hard for an experienced flyer (tipwrapper) like me.

Tug, tug, reposition, pop, tug, jiggle, reposition, tug, tug...

So more "walk of contemplation" than I'm used to. This too shall pass, but I'm thinking of adding some long leaders to the tow points to see if this eases my pain while I climb the learning curve. Bridle line may not cinch up on the tip as much as thin spectra.

Thoughts?

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Re: Tipwrap dot com

Post by ken mcneill »

Allen Carter wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:48 pm
I've been muttering it a bunch lately with the Tsuru...
...but I'm thinking of adding some long leaders to the tow points to see if this eases my pain while I climb the learning curve.
It's worth a try.

I had someone ask about vinyl caps (for the M3), is that worth consideration for this as well? Is there a trick or action you're doing that seems to lead to tipwraps? Are you taking up slack as quickly as you do with a smaller kite?

steve hall
alt. name: kitekid

Re: Tipwrap dot com

Post by steve hall »

fond memories of that site