So, what's next?

This section is for general discussions and questions about kites, that are not model-specific.
ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

So, what's next?

Post by ken mcneill »

The Tsuru is doing pretty well. There's only a small handful of M3s out there, but I think it's going to do well also. I have thoughts of a third stunt kite to round things out, but I think I need a bit of a change-up for a while. ;)

I've got ideas for a couple of single line kites. I played with low-aspect Edos (noodles) a few years ago, and I'm thinking it's time to revisit that. Maybe a version with a smaller lifting body and long tail as well. I'd like to find a formula for something I could offer inexpensively enough to make a nice platform for stacking.

I've been thinking a lot about bird(ish) shapes also. There have been a few really nice ones done over the years, but I think there are still some fun things left to be done. Again, something not too big or complicated. Perhaps something with shaped wings and flowing forms.

Is there anything you'd like to see? Have you ever said to yourself, "I wish somebody would make..."?

Photomom

Re: So, what's next?

Post by Photomom »

I’d say “I wish somebody would make ...” but you would probably tell me to make it myself. :lol:

Right now I love stacking kites and kite trains. They make a great show and don’t take up as much space.

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Post by Allen Carter »

I like the long flowy stuff. Stacks of long flowy even bettter.

Got any ideas for nice tail materials and shape?

I recently reached out to Carl about potentially getting a Delta Serpent, but they are sort of less unique after all this time so I haven’t pulled the trigger.

(I have a bunch of dragon kites up to 150’ and three Pyro deltas, so I do like the flowy kites)

mebeatee

Post by mebeatee »

I'll get roasted for sure.....a Quad.... :o Or a quad bridle for one of your fine dualies? Tried to get some Q flaps for one of my Air FX.....
I'm still saving for a 61/49.....exchange rate is brutal......and have been spending a lot of time with "glider" kites over the last couple of years.
How about a simple(ish) glider?
I was playing with my brand new Lam Hoac Magic Angel 2 today in the living room.....delivered just yesterday!!!!! I was tossing it around like a glider with no line attached and had a hoot. I also fly iFlites in the living room as well.
Something akin to this perhaps.....birdish...lol.

bt

video links clipped
Last edited by ken mcneill on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobD

Post by BobD »

I'm all for a glider too. I love the 61/49 but it needs a smidge of a breeze. I like the iFlite but would like something a little bigger with a more interesting shape if possible. Ideally, something that doesn't need any wind at all.

Appalachian Pilot

Post by Appalachian Pilot »

I’d like a High Wind kite with out venting holes , Stiff rods , heavy nylon or something,Off camber lower leading edges.

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Photomom wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:15 am
I’d say “I wish somebody would make ...” but you would probably tell me to make it myself. :lol:

Right now I love stacking kites and kite trains. They make a great show and don’t take up as much space.
So, what do you (and y'all) "wish somebody would make"? How about some of the classic kite forms? One of the things I've been wanting to build is a Sauls barrage kite Can't quite wrap my head around that many loose sticks though. ;)

Me too, on the stacks and trains. I have a six-pack of Robert Brasington kites that I'm itching to get in the sky for the first time!

I remember a time when the stars of the kite festival were the kites that were made by the artisan or hobbyist, not the giant inflatables. There are still a few festivals that are art-kite friendly. I'm lucky that two of them are in my region - Blue Ridge Kite Festival, in Salem VA, and Carolina Kite Fest, in Atlantic Beach, NC

RB_diamonds.jpg

jdenz

Post by jdenz »

Defo I'd like to see a single line next. And pls not an inflatable (a brightly coloured rubber sack), but a proper kite with sticks like Brasington's?
Dragonfly_Brasington.jpg

That Barrage looks nice, too. Or something in the line of another 3D kite like the Crossdeck by Carl Crowell, if this is an option?
crossdeck01.jpg
🪁 ❉⊱•═•⊰♥🎶;;;♥;;;🎶* ✨•♫•♬• 🪁»→🌎 :.°•∘✩☯* 🪁

Bayemre

Post by Bayemre »

Hi Ken,
My 61/49 eventually led me searching more types of active single lines. There are not many but I ended up with bird styles. I now own Bird'X from R-sky and Ramlal Tien's Bird. Particularly, for Ramlal's bird, I like the way that how the weight is balanced/imbalanced/rebalanced from nose to tail. This provides the opportunity for various tricks.

Of course I am not a kite designer, but I believe that there is still some room for improvement (maybe innovation) in the design of a active bird single line kite, particularly for a medium size model.

ken mcneill
Site Admin

Post by ken mcneill »

Bayemre wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:31 am
...I believe that there is still some room for improvement (maybe innovation) in the design of an active bird single line kite, particularly for a medium size model.
Still hoping to find a little time to work on new stuff, including at least one active flyer. I'm so glad to have a couple of festivals in the near future. Nothing sparks the creative flame like getting some good air time with friends.