Cascade and flic flac questions

BobD

Cascade and flic flac questions

Post by BobD »

Now that I know the M3 is flies a bit differently and that I have to adapt to its floatiness, I'm looking for advice on how to do cascades and flic flacs without losing altitude. (I'm very happy with the slot machines and fades.)

As Ken said, the M3 pauses after the input (the floatiness). What's the technique to tranistion back and forth for the cascade?

Flic Flacs aren't fast either and I lose altitude. It could have been wind speed or my technique.Any suggestions?

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Re: Cascade and flic flac questions

Post by ken mcneill »

BobD wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:41 pm
...As Ken said, the M3 pauses after the input (the floatiness)...
Not exactly what I said, but that's OK. ;) Have you tried moving your bridle? If not, bring the tow point down to the middle of the knot, and then try it with the mark just above the knot. You may find the M3 more responsive to your inputs.

BobD

Post by BobD »

I'll take a look at it. We have a lot of rain in the forecast, this week and next I think. And then there's yard work... I know - I have to get my priorities straight! :D

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Post by Allen Carter »

Bob,

I've flown Mambas for so long I cant really relate to these being "Mamba" or "M3" specific issues. I've seen practically every trick ever invented done on Mambas.

I can relate to it being more like big kite vs small kite issues. Or 20 year old ballet kite vs trick kite.

Not to denigrate the M3 in any way, but it is still based on an old kite that was built to do things differently than many newer kites. The ongoing updates to the Mamba have made it better in many ways, but it is still a Mamba. Which to my mind is the whole point.

And it has much more sail area than most kites (wider AND taller) and more curves. It is not balanced to favor roll-up (pitch) tricks like many kites. So it may take some getting used to depending on what you are used to flying.

BobD

Post by BobD »

I DO love the kite! The fade amazed me. I just have to improve my fade on my other kites to hold as well as the M3 holds them. I've only flown it once (cold and rain lately) and i WAS able to do a few slots and 540s. It certainly is a bigger kite than I'm used to. I flew a Transfer xt.s once and that was a big kite too and handled differently. I agree. It's a matter of getting used to it and appreciating what it can do.

Ken was very helpful and guided me through adjusting my tow points to make it more responsive to my inputs. He taught me how to make bridle adjustments which I've always been afraid to do. I'll test the change when the weather improves and I can get some time to fly.

BobD

Post by BobD »

Ken said that moving the tow points made the kite more responsive to my inputs. He walked me through the steps to adjust the bridle.. I was nervous about doing something I couldn't fix but Ken was great about it. We've had a lot of rain and high wind and yesterday was the first day I was able to test it out. It definitely helped!