Single line or Dual

BobD

Single line or Dual

Post by BobD »

My favorites are duals. I also have quads when the wind is too high to fly duals and gliders when the wind is too light to fly ULs. I love the look of the Reprise and the Ichiban but not certain they would scratch the kite itch the way the others do.

I'd like to hear if you have one what made you want to own one and what you do once they're in the air. And are they complicated and time consuming to set up? They would be great for time during a beach vacation but I wonder if I have the patience do put one together under a hot sun.

I'd love to hear your comments about owning a Reprise or an Ichiban.

KiteJockey

Re: Single line or Dual

Post by KiteJockey »

I think it is pretty safe to say that either of these kites will require some time and patience to put together. I have the Vixen and really like it, but it takes a bit of practice to put together. I must admit I asked Ken to show me how to do it. I am sure I will have the same issue with the Ichiban and Reprise. But I prefer duel or quad kites as my go too flier. However, there is a reward in flying single line kites. Especially when they are so beautifully crafted. On a crowded beach or other fields where duel line kites are crowded out by other fliers, a great looking and flying single line has its advantages.

You will wonder why you waited so long to get one. They can be challenging in other ways. Ken tends to put a little emphasis on flier inputs on his single line kites. They are hardly stagnant stable fliers. You won't be disappointed.
8-)

ken mcneill
Site Admin
alt. name: kmac

Post by ken mcneill »

BobD wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:34 am
I'd like to hear if you have one what made you want to own one and what you do once they're in the air. And are they complicated and time consuming to set up? They would be great for time during a beach vacation but I wonder if I have the patience do put one together under a hot sun.

I'd love to hear your comments about owning a Reprise or an Ichiban.
What do you think folks? Any thoughts or ideas for Bob? @skb, @Hal A, @boomertype, @bob matteo, @Michel, @craigkite, @ceewan, @DanB, @Johnguz76, @esinger, @KathyB, @PJK, @Anivdel? Thanks!

boomertype

Post by boomertype »

I have both and love them both.
I’ve flown them in mass ascensions and they are both show stoppers. Only once in all the 13 years that I flew in the mass ascensions to that they did not receive a Top Ten kite award.
Favorite well. . . Ichiban, errr Reprise!
They are both seen on there individual pages.

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Post by Allen Carter »

I've always had a wide variety of SLKs and sometimes fly only them, sometimes only sport kites, often both. The both is usually when I'll be on a field or beach for a long time, and there is plenty of room.

If I was starting an SLK journey now (with my old guy budget) I would get a MacStar. I have almost pulled the trigger on one several times. But, I'm moving away from the coast this year, so it's likely that my KAS (Kite Acquisition Syndrome) will need to be brought under control.

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Allen Carter wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:02 pm
But, I'm moving away from the coast this year, so it's likely that my KAS (Kite Acquisition Syndrome) will need to be brought under control.
How far away from the coast??

Allen Carter
alt. name: kitehead

Post by Allen Carter »

Mickey wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:21 pm

How far away from the coast??
About three hours. Our house is in Groveland, up in the ankle hills below Yosemite. I'll likely roll down the hill once a month to fly with the folks in Ripon. Perhaps I'll find a meadow or something up there, but the kiting will certainly take a hit.

BobD

Post by BobD »

Thanks for all the responses! I DO like duals so I ordered a nice M3. I doubt I'll be able to get to the beach this year or an event that might be crowded with dual lines. When that time comes, I think I'll be tempted to get a SLK. I love the 61/49 because it's an active flyer. I'll have to talk to Ken about the Ichiban or the Reprise. I love the angles of the Ichiban but the Reprise reminds me of the old biplanes. I might be able to swing the expense as a retirement gift to me next September.